07 August, 2009

Back in Training -- Butterfly Kicks and Cartwheels

I'm back in training, after an injury to my right hip joint, early last February, at an indoor climbing gym. The injury was sustained from repeatedly jumping up to reach a hold (on the first puzzle that I climbed, that day), while I was not really used to jumping upwards (yeah, I was not conditioned for it). The following picture was taken when I had reached the top of that puzzle:



Needless to say, I still climbed (and finished) 5 puzzles that day, over the hours that followed.

I do not know what that kind of injury mine was called, maybe a muscle strain, or strained tendons; but in any case, it was uncomfortable (on the right side) training for squats, horse stands, and splits.

I thought I would train for pull-ups, push-ups, and strengthen my fingers, while my right hip joint healed, but 6 months passed, to no avail. My training for butterfly kicks, moon kicks, and cartwheels were on hold, all this time, and I had only started on them when I got injured (though I did try cartwheels, on one or two occasions, during the last 6 months). Then earlier this week, I tried a few two handed vaults, and, surprisingly, my right hip did not hurt. The next day, I tried doing the "Iliotibial band and buttock stretch" (AFTER a warm up) and I felt great: my discomfort in my right hip was gone! Now, I knew that warming and stretching was all that my muscles, tendons, and ligaments needed, but I had not figured that I was not stretching the right muscle! After that I was able to do horse stands, squats, and train for splits with far less pain than I have experienced in the past 6 months. This was GREAT!

So, now, I have included the "iliotibial band and buttock stretch" in my daily routine, just for good measure, and I shall hope to be kicking my way skywards, soon! Last night, I decided to slowly ease my way back into training for butterfly kicks (and cartwheels), before going on to the moon kicks. The results are here:



Clearly, I am not swift enough, yet (though I did not realize that until I saw the video). I am sure there are other problems, like my not kicking hard enough with my supporting leg (I think), but this was the first day in 6 months. Perhaps my problem with being slow stems from the fact that for the past few months I had only been slow exercises, in trying to avoid the rapid build-up of muscle mass (I was trying to build up lean muscle, by doing all exercises very slowly -- namely, slow push ups, slow pull ups, and finger hangs -- thus keeping my body as close to its failure limit, as possible). Now that I think about it, perhaps I had been training only the slow twitch fibers, and neglecting my fast twitch fibers, entirely. I have decided to restarted training my fast twitch muscle fibers after seeing this video. I am thinking that vigorous, extremely quick, exercises might still keep me close to my limits. I would appreciate any tips from readers. Thanks.

O, in case you were wondering why was so worried about my mass, see the contrast from April 2009 to May 2009, here:



Once my right hip joint feels really comfortable I will start trying moon kicks, again.

On another note, I am really glad that I tried the two handed vaults, en route to doing pull-ups at the park, earlier this week. They made me remember that tremendously good feeling I used to get out of clearing obstacles, particularly at speed. It is a feeling that I cannot truly describe to a person who has not had a similar experience, unfortunately. Maybe this is what is called the runner's high; it is a kind of high, nevertheless. One three other activities that I have done convey a similar feeling of greatness:

  1. Skiing: this is the activity that comes closest -- the quick turns, at high speed do it, though I like it better when I make a wide turn at very high speed, leaning my body as much into the turn, as possible, barely trying to keep a grip on the snow, as I shoot for the tightest radius, while the g's build up, pushing me into my skis. More importantly, I enjoy that sinking feeling as I ski downhill, the ground falling off, from beneath my feet.
  2. Skydiving: that feeling of accomplishment after a skydive is similar, though not comparable in intensity (in may case), since mine was a tandem dive, in which you neither pack the chute, nor do you deploy it, nor do you independently land it. Tandem skydiving, to me, is a cheap thrill, in that regard, for it is fun without responsibility.
  3. Engineering: Now, this is something that come surprisingly close -- not in the intensity of the feeling, for that feeling of accomplishment upon completing an engineering project is very subtle, comparatively, but the feeling certainly is very similar, and lasts a whole lot longer (though the feeling from my tandem skydive lasted 3 weeks!). I remember once writing to one of my professors: "Engineering is my high, Professor, it is my drug."
The intensity that I feel from clearing obstacles at high speed (or while experiencing the ground rush of jumping off of a high place, or while getting that sinking feeling, as I ski downhill at high speed) make me proud to be able to have pictures to show like this:





~Faissal

_____________________________________________

Appendix:

This is something that I wrote earlier, when writing to my professor about the 'engineer's high' (and I'm probably the guy who coined it):

Engineering is my high; it is my drug. Researchers say that those who have tried cocaine and have tried activities like climbing, skydiving, or other activities that simply consume a person in the moment report that a person derives the same feeling from this drug as this kind of activity (Sources: Falling: How Our Greatest Fear Became Our Greatest Thrill--A History by Garrett Soden; Base 66: A Story of Fear, Fun, and Freefall, by Jevto Dedijer). While I have not tried the drug, myself (and I am sure my two Corning Inc. drug tests can prove that), I have tried the activities that I have mentioned; and I know how much I crave that feeling I derive, and how far I am willing to go, to get it (basically, I will try everything besides taking the drug). Now, actually getting an engineering project to work gives me that same feeling I get from these activities; certainly not as intense a feeling, but one that lasts a whole lot longer (from a few days to a few weeks, rather than a few minutes, to a few hours), and one which will allow me to continue to work, rather than leave me is a stupor. --Faissal, 16th May, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment