29 November, 2010

Sheltered, high on a purposeful serenity, on a floating barge

I just had a strange and wonderful dream.

I was on a barge, of some sort, monitoring a coastal storm, watching as the ocean blew in large chunks of houses it had pickup up from some place else, crashing them into the large houses on the shore that I was watching.

I was part of a team of old friends, from high school, with a certain tranquil serenity ensuing from a focus on purpose. It felt cozy, sheltered from the rain, spray, and debris, in the ship's large open space, and it felt great -- refreshing -- feeling that cold wind, slowed down, and going through those spaces.

It felt great seeing an old friend, who is recovering from a road accident, out there, in full vigor, and being his usual self (I think his being out of the hospital is the reason I even had the dream). I know I'm not the only one who saw him that way, for another of our high school buddies on that team also noticed that our friend was back in action.

It felt fantastic as we heard the claps of destruction on the shore, as the large debris hit houses on the shore, while we were protected by the ship's structure. From time to time members of the team went to fully sheltered areas, to take breaks, but I was always there, at least audially witnessing the destruction -- I guess I dreamt during my shift.

I heard the wind's howl, and the ocean's roar, and the tremendous claps that accompanied each shore-front house's destruction. There were at least two occasions when I had to take shelter from the resulting debris, for we were, somehow, close to shore.

O, it was reminiscent of those monsoon nights I had enjoyed as a child -- only, much more violent, and I was 'outside.' I saw a big chunk -- a complete set of three adjoining houses -- washed in, from elsewhere, as it raced towards the shore-line, giving my friend and I barely enough time to seek shelter by backing up against the wall of the ship that was closest to shore, as we heard tremendous explosions, and we gingerly tried looking around the corner, trying to glimpse the ensuing destruction. All we had to do was to monitor the storm, and to monitor the destruction, while keeping ourselves alive.

O, the serenity of cold, wet winds, the security of the ship's bulkheads, and that high, that tranquil clarity of mind at pursuing a simple goal, with simple rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment