06 January, 2010

Should Flying Men Look Back To the Flying Darts?

Flying man minus Wingsuit: Maybe the first wingsuit landings should be done on skis, right off of a Nordic style ski jump. Perhaps the real challenge will be adapting the ski bindings so that the parachute (during testing, and for emergencies) does not get entangled in them. After that, maybe wingsuiters will start jumping out of airplanes with adapted (perhaps shorter) skis.



But, of course, I have never seen telemark ski bindings, my entire life, nor have I BASE jumped, nor wingsuited.

_________________________________________________________

I got this idea from watching Jeb Corlis' appearance on The Colbert Report, and the wonderful cinematography in the above video, starting at the 6:41 mark.

The above clip is taken from Werner Herzog's documentary "The Great Ecstasy of the Sculptor Steiner," perhaps more properly translated as The Great Ecstasy of the Woodcutter Steiner.

_________________________________________________________

A few days after putting up this piece I found this clip on YouTube:



So I take it that I'm not the first to come up with the idea of learning to land a wingsuit using a telemark ski jump setup. In my defense, though, I did come up with the idea independently.

No comments:

Post a Comment